1) What inspired you to create a range of sparkling, probiotic kefir drinks?
My search for a better life!I had a health crisis after the birth of my baby and I wasn’t living life to the full – I needed more energy to keep up with them and live as vibrantly as I knew I could.
Sick and tired of being sick and tired I started my research phase which introduced me to the importance of gut health for overall wellness, so I started to make the most delicious probiotic fermented drink called water kefir. I made it in my home, with one baby strapped to my chest and the other at my heels.
I was amazed at the results! My energy returned, my digestion was better, the bloating went away, my skin started to glow and I seriously felt incredible.
I started my kitchen trials, making this probiotic rich drink and perfecting it and before long a health food store invited me to range in store.
And the rest has been trying to keep up with a growing family and business!
2) What are probiotics and how do they benefit our health?
“Probiotic” literally means “for life” and they are the good bacteria that we need everyday to help with a myriad of essential functions.
» Want glowing skin? You need probiotics.
» Want sexy hormones? You need probiotics.
» Want better digestion? You need probiotics.
» Want better mental clarity and moods? You need
» Want more energy? You need probiotics.
I think of probiotics as a white army helping every aspect of our everyday lives. We are outnumbered 10:1 bacteria to human cell! Isn’t that incredible? The gut is the core piece of overall wellness and to keep the gut happy, you need to replenish it with living probiotics.
3) Do you believe there is a link between gut health and healthy skin?
Absolutely! The gut is responsible for more than just the skin, but it does have a significant impact in these ways:
1. Digestion and absorption of nutrients. When you eat a beautiful organic diet, but you are not absorbing the nutrients from your food, your skin will suffer. By healing your gut and supplying it with living probiotics daily, you will help to break down and absorb the nutrients from your food, which will feed your skin.
2. Many detoxifying enzymes are found in the gut; so by nourishing your gut with probiotics and anti-inflammatory foods, you’ll be helping these enzymes do their job more efficiently
3. Your gut houses around 80% of your immunity so it’s important to remember that many skin issues like eczema and psoriasis are actually immune related. By nurturing your gut, not only will you be helping to boost your immunity, but you can also reduce the incidence or severity of immune related diseases.
4) Your skin is glowing! How do you look after your own skin / do you have any beauty rituals?
Well, it actually didn’t used to glow like this. At 35, I feel that my skin is better than it was 10 years ago! Apart from taking lots of gut loving probiotics, like the Imbibe range daily, I love to use lots of oils and organic and natural skin care products, like Weleda.
Plus, I don’t cleanse my skin with any abrasive creams (I think back to some of the stripping and drying cleansers I used to use – not good at all!) I focus on nurturing and nourishing my skin everyday, both inside and out.
I usually use an oil-based cleanser (only if I have been wearing make up, otherwise I just wash it with a warm facecloth) like jojoba oil and I also love the Weleda Almond Soothing Cleansing Lotion because it’s so calming to the skin. Almonds are fabulous for the skin (both internally and externally).
I’ve also started having almond milk in my coffee to get more of their essential fats into my diet.
I’m obsessed with Weleda Skin Food after a day at the beach when your skin is so stressed and dry and I actually use this on my daughters cheeks too every morning in Winter to prevent them getting cracked and wind burnt! Plus, it makes their cheeks glow, and I LOVE that!
And the Weleda Evening Primrose Age Revitalising Concentrate is an incredibly nourishing serum that I use after my bath each night, and I actually add a few drops of Frankincense essential oil, as this can help tone any skin blemishes.
5) Can you please share some tips on improving gut health?
For me, it’s all about what I can add (not take away) to give the highest energetic imprint on my day.
My top 5 tips are:
1. Digestion starts in the mind. How do you think and feel about food; what is your relationship to your plate. Once you have ease with your food choices and welcome your food with love and respect, there will be a chemical reaction sent to your gut to digest and absorb the nutrients from your food better.
2. Eat or drink something fermented everyday. This will help with overall wellness, mental clarity, boosted immunity and lead to glowing skin. This could look like a tablespoon of kim chi with lunch, a glass of Imbibe when you get home from work – something easy and totally achievable to fit into your lifestyle.
3. Breathe darling, breathe. All of us, live in a highly energetic world where devices are pinging all over the place and we are bombarded with information. Its super important to slow down a couple of times a day and take three deep long breaths. This will help calm down your system, which will lead in turn to better gut health.
4. Consider being your own Probiotic Princess If you’d go at making your own probiotic drinks at home to nurture your gut health, swing by the Imbibe website. I‘ve launched take home fermentation kits, which have everything you need to start your home trials. This is a step in the right direction for anyone who wants the confidence to nourish their gut health from the comfort of their own home.
5. Slay like Beyonce, daily By singing loudly or gargling daily, you exercise the Vagus Nerve which connects between the stomach and the brain. This nerve is responsible for sending many many messages from the gut to the brain and vice versa, so work it baby!
Focussing on your gut health is the ultimate way to cultivate radiance and beauty. When you ferment your own drinks you actively create living probiotics, which are the ultimate beauty food. Plus it’s really fun! You get to be an alchemist in your kitchen.
For more information head to www.imbibeliving.com
Republished with permission. Originally published at Weleda.
This blog is based purely on my personal experience. It is not intended to be a substitute for medical advice or treatment. I am neither a medical nor health professional and I cannot guarantee that the information in this blog post is accurate, reliable or complete. If you use this information, you do so at your own risk and should consult a qualified medical or health practitioner before relying on any information contained in this blog.